Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Why I Love Fall

I successfully wrapped up my second goof off week...I mean recovery week...after Ironman Wisconsin and am now ramping back up again for the Columbus Marathon. During my two weeks of "active recovery" I was really able to enjoy the awesome weather we have been having in North East Ohio and that got me to thinking about a few of the things that make fall (or fall like weather) one of my favorite times/things. Here is a sampling of them:
  1. easy breezy road rides where the temps are cool but not uncomfortable, the sky is as blue as can be, the sun is rising over the tree line, there is just a hint of color in the leaves and the attitude is more social than hammer fest. This is why I started riding in the first place and I love it when I get to experience it

  2. two words...trail running (or walking). I have no idea why but for some reason I really only run on the trails in the fall. I really don't understand it myself because it is so peaceful in the woods and the time always flies by and I always feel completely refreshed when I am done. Maybe its best I only do it in the fall or it may not be the same.

  3. two more words...mountain biking. Again, really reserved for the fall, probably because I suck at it, but I love being in the woods and I also love the challenge of knocking off a solid effort at something that literally scares the hell out of me. Again, I love it but it is probably best I only do it in the fall.

  4. the smell of a charcoal grill that is getting ready to grill up some tasty treat. I love to grill all year long but in the fall I break out the lawn chair and camp out by the grill from the moment its lit until the moment the food is done.

  5. keeping with the fire theme...camp fires. We have a great fire pit in our yard and we have really enjoyed hanging out by it on the cooler fall days. I don't know what it is about hanging out by a fire, even if it is the grill, but they make me really, really thirst for a nice cold beverage. Again, I love it.

Enough day dreaming here is what I have on tap for the week.

  1. I am still out of the pool but will be back in next week
  2. mountain biking at west branch in lieu of weds. night road ride
  3. targeting just north of 30 on foot with no speed work and a long run of 12-14
  4. weekend of debauchery at put-in bay. gonna guess I will probably spend some time in the early am running but that's it

I hope everyone is enjoying the fall like weather as much as I am.

that's all for now

No comments: