Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Week 2 (of the year) recap

Northeast Ohio is officially a winter wonderland as we received a call from old man winter this past weekend. The snow started on Friday afternoon, although we were treated to some nice icy rain much of the week, and in total we probably got 12"-15" before it let up at all. More is scheduled to come this week with temps hitting the single digits. Should be great...not.

Its not that I love running in the snow but i can't say that I mind it either. It always seems like something cool happens when you are out there...pretty much alone, on a snow run. This past Saturday afternoon, in the height of the storm, I decided it was time to get a run in. I knew the towpath and the trails would be tough going but I dropped into the valley to check them out anyways. When I got there I noticed the shoulder on Riverview Road was pretty well cleared so I decided to loop the valley Bath to Bolanz starting out heading South from the Ira Rd trailhead. The cool thing (to me but probably not most people) was when I was heading back down Riverview to my car and I was right by the Marsh, it was snowing really hard so that you could barely see, there was no traffic to speak of so I was basically out there alone and then I heard the train whistle and out of the blizzard like conditions comes the headlight of the train coming down the tracks heading for lock 29. It doesn't sound that great in writing but it was just me and the train (the engineer saw me and we waved to each other) and I thought it was pretty cool.

The other cool thing that happened was the first cross country ski outing of the year. We went to Happy Days for a double loop although I blistered and had to bail out after the first loop. I have to get that figured out.

Finally, all of our Christmas decorations are down and put away...this was my toughest workout all week both physically and mentally.

Training recap:

Bike - 25 miles outside and 3x1hrs indoor
Run - 18
Swim - goose egg

That's all for now

No comments: