Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Long Overdue Update

Like I said when I first started this..it is going to be harder than I thought keeping up on the updates. That remains a true statement although it is actually harder than I thought when I thought it was going to be harder than I thought. Does that make sense???

Anyways since my last post I have had lots of things going on. Here is a list and I will give a brief highlight summary of each after.

1. ran a half marathon in New Philadelphia, Ohio
2. Spent 5 days riding with friends in Hot Springs, NC
3. Won my age group in the Silver Springs Duathlon
4. Graduated a daughter from college
5. Did an adventure Triathlon in Maumee, Ohio

Not to shabby, huh??

Starting with the half marathon, Sue and I traveled down to New Philly the morning of the race. It did not start until noon or maybe one) so we were able to hang out together in the Am and then leave around 10:30 or so to get down there. We both had never been to New Philly and were very surprised at what a cool town this was. It was a small race and the route was designed so spectators were able to see the runners often. It was nice having Sue there cheering me on although sometimes it doesn't appear that way because I either get fussy or focused depending how the race is going. I did this race as a tune up for Buffalo, although this course was really hilly and Buffalo is dead flat, and it was a great confidence builder. I ran a 7:54 pace and felt good the whole time.

Hot Springs is an annual trip although we had a couple of newbies this year. The weather was perfect, sunny and warm all four days of riding. We rode just over 200 miles in four days with around 20,000 ft of climbing the North Carolina hills. Of note is the climb up Doggitt Gap, which is a seven mile climb and is the hardest climb I have ever done. We also enjoyed the trail fest which is a gathering of Appalachian trail hikers, the hot tubs, some margaritas, a cavs win, a big steak dinner and some really nice camp fires

The silver springs du is a small race in Stow, Ohio that includes a 5k run a 17 mile bike and then another 5k run. The day was perfect, clear and cool. Sue and I headed over early so we could set up a tent for Team ER, the team I race for, and Sue was acting as official team photographer for the race. Overall things went really well for me. My first run was at a 7:00 min pace and I averaged just over 20MPH for the bike and than 7:25's for the second run. I had a great day, Sue took lots of cool pictures and oh yeah did I mention I won my age group!!

Kate's graduation was awesome. Sue, Jerry, Grandpa and I went over to BG the day of the graduation, had a quick lunch at Kate's place and headed over to the ceremony. The ceremony was really nice and I could not have been prouder of Kate then I was. College was not easy for her and she stuck with it against all odds. She defined what it means to be tough and persevere. I can't wait to see where she takes it from here. Awesome dinner at a restaurant named Biaggis following the ceremony. The butternut squash ravioli was to die for!!

Finally the Maumee adventure tri. This is the third year in a row that John and I were partners for this race. Last year we got lost on the bike and put ourselves out of the race and we were out for revenge this year. Although we fell short of our goal of winning it, we did win the bike overall (averaged 22.7MPH for 36 miles. We were then passed on the canoe by a team that was only 30 secs behind us on the bike. One more team passed us on the run, which was done on a trail with 20% of your body weight in a pack on your back which for me was 36lbs!!!, so we came in third but had a really solid race.

Other than that, Sue and I have been working the yard hard to try and overcome the effects of the winter. This has been no easy chore. Work has been challenging as ever, Sue is training hard for the three day walk (and working hard to raise funds) and we continue to enjoy the freedom of being empty nesters!!

Next up Buffalo Marathon, Clays Park Triathlon, family vacation in the keys and a sincere effort to keep things up to date on my blog!!!

That's all for now

No comments: